Sunday, October 9, 2011

Learning how to be an adult

Yesterday was the first day I went food shopping in a long time.  It's possibly been a month.  Literally.  Last Sunday, I made a macaroni with pesto sauce with chicken.  It was "ok," but the chicken was all dry and it really didn't taste that good.  Like a good husband, Scott ate it, and even said it was good.  There were two containers of leftovers, which I ate for lunch this week, not because I wanted to, but because it was there.  The reason I chose this for dinner?  It was all that was available.  For a visual, my refrigerator was pretty sad yesterday before I went to the market (yes, that's juice, water, eggs - 1 egg to be exact, a jar of pickled peppers and 2 bottles of beer):  



It was actually a great opportunity to thoroughly clean the refrigerator.


So, after a week of ordering food via Foodler, I decided that the time had come to act like an adult, and prepare for the week this weekend.  On Thursday I went through my cookbook, and decided on four quality meals for the week.  I figure there will be leftovers with each meal, so that will suffice for either lunch, or even a quick re-heat the next night.  Saturday was my day for food shopping.


This week's menu:

  • Pot Roast with Fall / Winter Vegetables  
  • Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Spring Vegetables
  • Rosemary Chicken with Balsamic Glazed Onions and Polenta
  • Escarole and Beans



My shopping list was pretty extensive, as I needed absolutely everything.  $120 later, and I have a stocked fridge.  I'm ready for the week ahead.




I also took the opportunity to try to buy some of the fruits and vegetables that I talked about in Stuck in a Rut.  I decided that I would not buy apples, as my history with them (and throwing them away) so I bought grapes and grapefruit.  I also bought carrots (some will be used in the Pot Roast and the Roasted Pork, but the rest are good for snacking), as well as celery (delicious with peanut butter).  I also bought some yogurt and a few things for the pantry.


Here's to hoping that we have a week of delicious meals!  I will report at the end of the week the results, as well as next week's menu!


1 comment:

  1. artichokes would be a great side with your chicken. they're my new cooking obsession! if you just cook with a little lemon, garlic powder and about 1 tsp or less of oil in the pan (i can fit 4/pan) they're almost 0 points! yayyyy

    ReplyDelete