Sunday, April 1, 2012

What's New Cupcake? Part 2

This weekend, I had a "job" making cupcakes for a friend at work.  I had tried a recipe a while ago and while the shape of the cupcake was terrific, the taste just wasn't how I wanted it to be.  It was more the consistency of a corn muffin rather than a vanilla cupcake.  I found a recipe on Pinterest, by Recipe Girl and it was a terrific recipe!  I ended up making the cupcakes in the jumbo tins, and one complete recipe filled the 12 tins.  Here's what I did!!

The Recipe

1 Box White Cake Mix
1 cup Flour
1 cup Sugar (granulated)
3/43 tsp Salt
1 1/3 cups Water
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 cup Sour Cream
4 Egg Whites

The Method
  • Preheat the oven to 325*F and line the cupcake tins with paper liners
  • Whisk together the dry ingredients and then mix in the wet ingredients until well blended
  • Use an ice cream scoop to fill the tins 3/4 full and bake for 18 minutes (or use 2 scoops and bake for 30-35 minutes if you're using the jumbo tins like I did)
My baked cupcakes (a little flat, but no worries!)

Next, the frosting:

The Recipe
3 cups Powdered Sugar
1 cup Butter, room temperature
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1-2 Tbsp Whipping Cream

The Method

  • Cream together Sugar and Butter on low speed until well blended.  Increase speed to medium and beat for 3 minutes
  • Add Vanilla and Cream on medium speed for 1 minute (I added only 1 Tbsp of cream, mixed, checked the consistency and then added more as needed).
  • Decorate! Color and Pipe as necessary

The frosted cupcakes!
Once the cupcakes were frosted with a base layer (shown above), I rolled the cupcakes in some white sprinkles on the edges for a simple decoration, and sprinkled some silver sprinkles on top as well.  In the very center of the top, I put a little dollop of frosting.  


Since the cupcakes were for a class of 2nd graders who were making their first communion, I was provided with some candies - some I put on the dollop of frosting, others I taped to the cupcake boxes (I was also provided with individual boxes)  Enjoy some pictures below! 

Cupcakes with the decoration on top!

The finished result, boxed and ready to go!

Ready for delivery!!
I had a fun time making these cupcakes!  I was told today they were a huge hit!!!  I always love hearing that people enjoyed the end result!  

If you have a chance to bake some cupcakes, definitely try out this recipe!  It's fantastic!!

No comments:

Post a Comment