Friday, April 13, 2012

Crock Pot Chili

A number of years ago, my sister came across a recipe for chili in the newspaper.  We have made it more times than I can count - it's so delicious.  The other day, I took out a package of ground beef (it was 2 lbs that I didn't split right after I bought it) and I needed a good recipe to use all of the beef.

While I love my sister's recipe, as I was looking over the card today, I realized I was lacking a few ingredients (like diced tomatoes).  So I decided to improvise.  Normally, my improvisations do not work out well.  Tonight, it was great!  Here's what I did:

The Ingredients
  • 2 lbs ground beef (I used 90% lean)
  • Chopped onion (I used 1/2 of a gi-normous onion)
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 3 15oz cans beans (I used 1 can small red kidney beans, 1 can large red kidney beans, 1 can white beans (Cannelini) - I used this mixture because it's what I had....The original recipe actually called for 4 cans of beans - which you can do by all means, but I find it to be too many beans)
  • 1 6oz can tomato paste
  • 1 bottle of beer (I used a Pale Ale because it was in the fridge)
  • 4 Tbsp Chili Powder
  • 2 tsp Cumin
  • 1 Tbsp Salt (I used kosher salt, use more or less depending on your taste)
  • Hot sauce (as much or as little as you want)
The Method
  • Brown the beef and the onion in a large skillet.  Once browned, put all of the mixture into the crock pot liner
  • Add in all of the seasonings, tomato paste, beans, and beer and mix well


Everything's in the pot - getting ready to cook!
  • Set the crock pot for 4 hours on low.  You really just need everything to mix together, and for the seasonings to flavor the meat.  
  • Enjoy with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream!

This really is some great chili!!!  You can taste the beer, but it's a great flavor.  The chili serves 8 and is 8 points plus per serving (cheese and sour cream is extra).

I made this in bulk - but it is great for lunches!!! :o)

ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment