Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Leftovers!!!

I am not a fan of leftovers.  I find that on most occasions, re-heated food is awful (with a few exceptions).  However, I do like taking my leftovers and making something new with it....QUICHE!

I find that I really only make quiche at Easter time.  There's something about ham and cheese quiche that just makes me happy.  I make it different almost every year and it's one of the very few things that I can cook and improvise and not have it come out awful.  

This year's quiche is Ham and Broccoli....Here's what I did:

The Ingredients
-Leftover ham (I used about 5-6 slices and cubed it up)
-Cheese (whatever kind you have/like.  I had some basket cheese, so I cubed up some of that)
-1 box frozen chopped broccoli, defrosted
-Onion (as much as you want, I used 1/4 of a massive onion)
-Garlic (once again, as much as you want)
-4 eggs, beaten, with a splash of milk (more, depending on the size you're making)
-Pie Crust

The Method to my Madness
-Chop the onion and saute it in a little bit of olive oil
-Add in the garlic and the defrosted broccoli
-Add in some salt and pepper (not too much salt - the ham is salty enough)
-Add in the chopped ham
Onion, Garlic, Broccoli, and Ham
-Line a pie plate with the pie crust (if you're feeling ambition, go ahead and make your own.  I bought the rolls of pie crust - thank you Pillsbury!!)
-Put all of the broccoli and ham mixture into the crust

-Put the cheese in on top and mix in it with a fork (I think that chunks of cheese works better than shredded cheese)
 
On the Left:  Basket Cheese!  On the Right:  Everything in the pie crust

-Pour the Beaten eggs/milk over the mixture and mix it in, making sure to mix everything in well
-Fold the crust over for a "rustic" look - or make a real crust if you're up to it...
-Bake at 350* for 30-45 minutes

The Finished Product

 The key to a good quiche is using whatever you want - Potatoes are great in quiche (make sure you pre-cook them so they're not hard when you try to eat it).  I would have used potatoes today, but I didn't have any....


Have fun and ENJOY!!


Points:  7 points per slice - 8 slices per pie


No comments:

Post a Comment