Monday, April 2, 2012

Spicy Turkey Burgers

More and more I find myself looking for ways of using ground turkey instead of ground beef.  I remember someone at work saying that if you don't use 99% fat free turkey, what's the point?  Well, there are definite benefits to not eating red meat multiple times a week.  And even if I'm eating the same amount of "fat" I can at least enjoy the similar taste and not worry about the cons of eating red meat.

A while ago, my husband found a recipe online after one of my usual "lets try something new" flops.  Naturally, the recipe he found was fantastic....We've made it a few times, and it's now time for me to share it with you!!!

Spicy Turkey Burgers


The Recipe
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 Tbsp nonfat plain yogurt (I often do not have yogurt in the house, but do have sour cream.  Either one is fine)
1 Tbsp fresh dill (I never have fresh dill...I use dry dill, and still use the same amount)
1 1/2 tsp hot sauce (or more if you choose)
1/2 tsp salt
1 clove minced garlic (I use a garlic press rather than trying to mince it myself)
1 lb lean ground turkey (I use a 20 ounce package)

The Method

  • Combine everything together and mix well
  • Shape into 4 patties, about 3/4" thick
  • Grill on medium hot heat for 6-8 minutes per side until no longer pink
    • If you're like me and share a grill with a bunch of other people who refuse to clean it after they use it, then you can cook your burgers either on the stove top, or in the oven.  I prefer the oven and bake them at 400*F for 10 minutes per side
  • Serve on whole wheat Kaiser rolls with lettuce and tomato
These burgers are quick and easy, and quite delicious!!!  Tonight I made them with a side of fresh baked fries.  (6 points plus each!)

Enjoy!!


Spicy Turkey Burger on a whole wheat bun with lettuce.  Deliciousness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment