Friday, March 30, 2012

Baked Fish and Chips


So Fridays during Lent are always interesting.  This year, I've made a lot of pizza and spinach pie, as well as Baked Scallops and some baked Scrod.  Both times I made the seafood, I was disappointed.  I bought the seafood at East Side Market both times, and while their seafood is usually really good, both meals just didn't taste right.  My husband requested fish during the week, and I promised him fish on Friday.  I really want to make sure I had time to prepare this meal.


Well, I found a recipe online today (On the Food Network website) for Baked Fish and Chips and I have to admit, it was delicious!  I bought the seafood at Horton's in East Providence.  I drive by the sign all the time on my way to work and today decided I would stop there.  I thought it was a fish shop, but it was actually a dine-in or take-out shop (you could smell the fry-o-later from the street...).  They were nice enough to give me a piece of Scrod (for $6.49 a pound!!  Super cheap!!).   I made sure to rise the fish really well before preparing it.  Here we go!!

The Ingredients
The Chips
  •  3 Medium Russet Potatoes
  • 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I don't think I used a full 1/4 cup....I just eyeballed it)
  • Kosher Salt
  • Cayenne Pepper (I didn't have any in the pantry, so I just used Paprika instead)
The Fish
  •  Olive Oil Cooking Spray (I just used whatever cooking spray I had in the pantry)
  • 2 3/4 cups Crispy Rice Cereal (I didn't have Rice Krispies - I had Rice Chex...But since you have to crush them up, I figured this would be fine...Also, I didn't measure out an amount.  I just poured it in a bowl)
  • Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper
  • 3 Large Egg Whites
  • 1 1/2 lbs skinless boneless Pollock (I obviously did not use Pollock...I went with Scrod - any firm white fish will do the job) cut into 2x4" pieces (I didn't cut into 2x4 pieces - see picture below)

The Method

Put the racks in the oven on the upper and lower third places and preheat the oven to 450*F.  Place a baking sheet on one of the racks to preheat (this is for the chips - heating the baking sheet initially will help with the crispiness of the chips, and it will also avoid the potatoes sticking to the pan).

The Chips
  • Peel and cut the potatoes into 1/4" thick sticks
  • Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper (or paprika in my case)
  • Remove the hot baking sheet from the oven, add the potatoes, and spread in an even layer.  
  • Bake on the top rack, turning once, until browned and crisp (about 30 minutes)
 
The Fish
  • Set a wire rack on a baking sheet and coat with cooking spray.
  • Lightly crush the cereal in a bowl with your fingers.  Add 2 tsp salt and pepper to taste.
  • In another bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until frothy.
  • Dip the fish in the egg whites and then roll in the cereal
  • Place the fish on the racks and mist with cooking spray
  • Bake the fish on the bottom rack until crisp and cooked through (I cooked for about 20 minutes - less if the pieces are small)


Serve with tartar sauce, malt vinegar or ketchup :)
Four Servings:  9 Points Plus per serving!


Baked Fish and Chips!  Delicious!!

ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment