Saturday, March 10, 2012

Baked Scallops

For the past two Fridays, I have made Pizza and Spinach Pie for dinner.  My husband has willingly eaten it without complaint.  However, I know that while it fills you up, within a couple hours, you're hungry again.  Mostly because it's just bread.  Where's the protein??


Being that it's Lent, I figured I would try something else this week for dinner.  Plus, I feel bad - my husband bought himself a turkey sandwich for lunch, and then threw it out after I made a comment about the meat.  He deserves a good meal tonight.


A lady at work once gave me this MASSIVE bag of scallops, and through a web search, I found a recipe that I deemed "a keeper."  Only problem - I don't think I kept the recipe!  Typical Camille.


So I did some searching today and found a recipe that's relatively similar!


Here goes!!


The Recipe

  • 2 lbs sea scallops (about 4 cups)
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • Salt
  • 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, separated
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp flour
  • 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
The Method

  • Preheat the oven to 400*F
  • Put the scallops, wine and pinch of salt into a medium saute pan and bring up to a boil.  
  • Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 4-5 minutes.  
  • Remove the scallops to a 1.5(ish) quart casserole pan.  Reserve the cooking liquid.
  • Heat 3 Tbsp butter in the saute pan on medium heat.  Add the onions and cook until translucent
  • Add the flour and the reserved cooking liquid and mix vigorously.
  • When the sauce is thickened, add it to the casserole baking dish.  Stir to incorporate
  • Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the scallops and dot with the remaining 3 Tbsp of butter.
  • Bake at 400*F for about 15 minutes, until bubbly and brown
I didn't take a picture (SORRY!!!) But I can assure you it's good.  My only suggestion:  I bought scallops from East Side Market and they were NOT fresh.  Make sure you buy FRESH SCALLOPS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment