Sunday, September 30, 2012

Homemade Pizza Dough....And maybe a couple calzones....

I am a fan of the easy way out.  I have no shame whatsoever in admitting that I often buy pizza dough at the supermarket when I make pizza, spinach pie, or some kind of "calzone."  However, I do love making my own dough every once in a while.  My Aunt Annette does it all the time (it really is easy) and so yesterday, I decided to make some dough of my own.  

We're going to family party today, and I decided to bring some Sausage Loaf and some Spinach Pie (for you people out there who don't know what sausage loaf and spinach pie are, just assume that it's a sausage calzone and a spinach calzone....Other blog entries to come later this week).  I did make both of these once before for a previous family party, and while no one even touched the sausage loaf, some of the spinach pie did go (there were some store-bought calzones on the table, and I guess people felt safer going with those....).  Since I know Scott loves the sausage loaf, he and I ended up eating quite a bit of it for dinner last night, so only the spinach pie will make an appearance at today's party (and whatever doesn't get eaten, I'm taking home!!!).  

So on to the pizza dough.  
Home Made Pizza Dough - Rising in the bowl, ready to be spread and used!!!

You only need four things to make pizza dough at home.  

1)  Flour.  2)  Water.  3)  Yeast.  4)  Time.  

Seriously.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together 1 Tablespoon of instant yeast and 1 cup of warm water (you can also add up to 1 teaspoon of sugar, if you so desire.  This will help the yeast bubble up).  Let the yeast mixture proof.  Once it has proofed nicely, add 4-5 cups of flour and start mixing everything together with a dough hook.  Gradually add up to another 1 cup of water.  You need to use your judgement here.  You don't want the dough to be too liquidy, but you also don't want it hard as a brick.  Once the machine has kneaded the dough for about 10 minutes or so and the mixture is nice and smooth, you can dump the mixture onto the counter, knead it a bit by hand to make sure it's the consistency that you want, and then transfer it to an OILED bowl.  Cover and leave in a warm location (I left it on top of the stove with the light on).  
"The Yeast Makes the Dough Rise" - the yeast, sugar and water are all mixed together!!

Proofing the yeast - the most important part!!

Letting the mixer do the work!!!  Using the dough hook helps to knead the dough, and you don't have to do it all by hand!

The dough is ready to sit and rise!

The dough is covered in a bit of oil, and is sitting in an oiled bowl!  Getting ready to sit for about an hour to rise

Let the dough sit in a warm area for about an hour, or until the dough has doubled in bulk.  Punch the dough down, and then let it double again (this only takes about 30 minutes).

After the first rise, the dough is ready to be punched down!

Yes, I literally punched the dough!!  Ready to rise again!

The dough is re-risen, and ready to be used!!!

Now, you've got beautifully risen dough, ready for whatever you decide to make!  (Note, I divided the dough in 4 and made smaller loaves....)

Look for some more entries this week to make Sausage Loaf and Spinach Pie!!!

Sausage Loaf!!!

Spinach Pie!!!

2 comments:

  1. See, this is why I need you in my life...to learn things like how to make dough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will teach you anything you want to know!!! :o)

      Delete