Saturday, September 8, 2012

Apple Crisp

My mom is a teacher in Providence, and it's a requirement that they teachers administer breakfast to the students (the food is provided by the school system, but my mom actually has to hand it out to the students). A few days this week, she was given apples to hand out to the class, and she ended up bringing all of the leftovers home.  That meant baking for me!!!

As I mentioned a while ago, I've had the itch to bake,  I didn't really care what it was, but I wanted to bake SOMETHING.  Well, here was my opportunity.  I have an amazing apple crisp recipe that I always use (it's from the King Arthur Flour cookbook), but seeing as all of my cookbooks are stored away in a storage location, we needed to improvise.  I looked online, and found an extremely simple recipe that I decided to go with.  I improvised a big, so here's what we did:

The Ingredients
2 1/2 cups oatmeal (I don't think it matters if it's quick oats or old fashioned, but I used old fashioned)
2 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
2 sticks melted butter
6 cups apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
3/4 cup white sugar
Cinnamon

The Method


  • Mix together the oatmeal, flour and brown sugar with a fork.
  • Add in the melted butter, mix initially with the fork, and then get your hands in there and mix it until it is crumbly
  • Put half of the crumble mixture into a greased 9x13 pan
  • Spread the apples on top of the crumble mixture
  • Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon on top of the apples (I just eyeballed the cinnamon.  The original recipe called for about 4 teaspoons, but I didn't measure it).
  • Put the other half of the crumble mixture on the top
  • Bake in a pre-heated 350* oven for about 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown

Note:  Assuming 20 servings (which is a VERY generous portion)
Per Serving:  296 Calories * 50 Carbs * 10 Fats * 3 Protein * 2 Fiber * 10 Sodium
Serve with ice cream, and ENJOY!!

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean when you say you just HAD to bake something. It's a craving to go through the baking process, regardless of what the finished product is. Your surplus of apples were perfectly suited for this crisp. Looks like the perfect September dessert!

    ReplyDelete