Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Coffee Cake

I have a collection of recipes from various family members, and one of them, from my dad's Aunt Mary, is Coffee Cake.  Every year, she would make my dad a cake for Christmas, and even if she gave it to him 3 days early, he would keep it until Christmas Day and eat it for breakfast (he would share it with the rest of us, but this was really his cake).  When Aunt Mary got really sick with rheumatoid arthritis, she and my grandmother would make it together, and after a while, they took some short cuts to make it easier for them.  My aunt passed away a number of years ago, and while my grandmother really wasn't much of a baker, she made the cake for a couple years, but I soon after took over the tradition of the Christmas Coffee Cake.

This year will probably be the third year that I'm going to make the cake for my dad.  I actually made a cake last night to take to a Pot Luck today (it's a day-long pot luck, and I got volunteered to bake).  The last pot luck we had I brought banana bread, and everyone loved it - so I got volunteered to bring some kind of a cake again. 

I baked this coffee cake in a long loaf pan - It was easier for the pot luck purposes.  I usually bake it in a tube pan.
The Recipe:
For the Batter
2 sticks of butter (softened, but not melted)
2 cups of sugar
1 pint of sour cream
1 teaspoon of vanilla
4 eggs
4 cups of flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
For the Filling
1 1/4 cups of brown sugar
3 teaspoons of flour
3 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 cup of chopped walnuts

Bake in either a greased/floured long (14") loaf pan, or a tube pan.
Layer into the pan, 3 layers, starting with the batter, filling, batter, filling, batter, and finally filling.
Cook for 1 hour at 350* (I usually bake for about 1 hour & 10-15 minutes) and then shut off oven and leave cake in oven for an additional 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool.

The Coffee Cake - Sliced, with the layers of topping in the middle
It's really some of the best Coffee Cake I've even had.  I'm happy that my aunt passed the recipe down to me.  It's definitely a keeper!!

No comments:

Post a Comment