Wednesday, November 2, 2011

It's November!!!

Halloween is over.  To me, I feel like it should still be August. I can't believe how fast the last few months have gone by.  It's kind of sad, because for the first time in a long time, we didn't celebrate Halloween.  Last year, we dressed up as Mary Poppins and Bert - and I had so much fun making the costumes!  This year, however, we just didn't do anything.
So now, it's November.  Sunday we have daylight savings (I don't know what we're saving, as we're really just losing daylight....But we do gain an extra hour of sleep).  And we have Thanksgiving.  Now, in my opinion, Thanksgiving is one of the best holidays ever.  There are no religious ties to it and you don't have to buy gifts.  You just have to visit with family, cook, and eat food.  How is there a better holiday???

My favorite Thanksgiving drinks/foods/desserts:
  • Hot Cider.  My mom makes the best hot cider in the crock pot with mulling spices.  Deliciousness.
  • Turkey.  We seriously only have this about once a year (on Thanksgiving) so I always look forward to it.
  • Sweet Potato Bake (Or as my sister-in-law would call it, baby poop).  yummmy mini-marshmallows!
  • Stuffing.  My mom makes the.best.stuffing.EVER.  Seriously, not a lie.  So delicious.  It's not Thanksgiving without mom's stuffing.
  • Broccoli Casserole.  My Auntie Regina makes this.  It's another delicious dish that for some reason we only have on Thanksgiving.  A mixture of cream of mushroom soup, cheese and broccoli.  YUM.
  • Corn Pudding.  Another Auntie Regina concoction that we only have on Thanksgiving.  I remember the year she left the butter in the microwave.  It still tasted good (but not as rich as usual, lol).
  • Apple Pie.  Now I know that apple pie is a "fall food" but I always associate it with Thanksgiving.  My mother in law makes the best - I've tried to make it, but I need my sister in law to help me.  
  • Pumpkin Pie.  Not squash pie.  Pumpkin pie.  Delicious.
  • Pecan Pie (insert Billy Crystal from "When Harry Met Sally" here.
Anyway, it's my favorite holiday and my favorite time of year.  The fall is so calming to me and I love seeing the leaves turn color.  It was strange this weekend to see snow on the ground when the leaves on the trees were still green, but such is life, I suppose.  
So let's enjoy the season!  Christmas decorations are already up, but I refuse to listen to Christmas music or decorate until Thanksgiving is over!  Let's enjoy the seasons in the order to which the are on the calendar!!

1 comment:

  1. we cant forget annette's delectible pickled peppers... and theres nothing like leftovers turkey on her famous homemade sourdough rolls!!!!!

    ReplyDelete