Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Running through New Jersey

I'm traveling for work AGAIN this week.  I did take a new job a few weeks ago, but being that I'm working on the system that is being deployed into the company based in MA, I guess I sort of figured that I'd be staying there most of the time.  But, I did have to do two back-to-back weeks of travel.  Last week, I was in Rochester, NY.  I decided that I don't like Rochester that much, and my family should not worry about me ever wanting to move there.  In all honesty, there's nothing there.  Even the Panera was empty at 7:45 in the morning....I mean, come on!  You go to the Panera on Reservoir Ave in Cranston, and it's PACKED!

The other reason I could never make Rochester my home?  Well, all the people who think there are "amazing Italian restaurants" there.  Seriously.  There's this guy there (who shall remain nameless) who happen to be in Raynham the week before I was in Rochester.  And he asked for a place for he and his wife to go to dinner.  I suggested either the North End or Federal Hill.  I mean, you're in the Providence/Boston Area?  You go get Italian food.  He poo-pooed the suggestion, saying that he could get Italian food any time he wanted at home.  All he talked about was "chicken french" ...It's so good, it's amazing, you can't get it any where else, BLAH BLAH BLAH.  What's chicken french, you ask?  It's chicken francaise, over a bed of escarole.  When I found out that it was over escarole, I told him about how I love escarole, and when I was young, my mom used to make escarole and beans....He followed with a story about how an old Italian lady used to make him greens and beans often when he was a kid, too.  I just shook my head.  In any case, Rochester didn't hold much for me (I just read that Ragu came originally from Rochester...I guess that should say something about the Italian-ness of the town, huh?)

Now, I'm in New Jersey.  In Piscataway, NJ, to be exact.  So far, I haven't found too much here, although I also haven't made much of an effort.  So far, my schedule has been about 8am-5:30pm, with a short break for lunch.  Then, back to the hotel, work out, shower, eat, watch tv, go to bed.  I'm currently in the watch tv moment right now.  The hotel is connected to a Ruby Tuesday, so in my laziness tonight, I decided to just get room service.  While it was easy, it wasn't necessarily delicious, either...But maybe I'm just a food snob.  However, I was able to make smart (or not so smart) choices, based on my Points Plus.

Tonight, after I got back from work, I went down to the "fitness center" here at the Hotel.  BTW - The Fitness Center consists of 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical machine, 1 recumbent book, and some hand weights.  No, I'm not kidding.  In any case, I did a half hour on the treadmill.  That's 10 minutes more than I did yesterday.  I was able to do a run-walk combination.  Last night, I ran 2 intervals at .25 miles and then about .10 miles with walking in between.  Tonight, I ran 2 intervals at .25 and then 3 intervals at .10 miles with walking in between.  While I wasn't able to do more of the .25 intervals, I did do extra of the .10 intervals.  My leg just still can't handle that much running.  Even now, I've been back in the room for almost 3 hours and my leg is still sore.  Damn that torn PCL!  But in any case, there are improvement, and I need to just take it slow!  If I try to do too much too fast, I'll hurt myself even further.

Here's to hoping that I find a few things to do here in Jersey during the rest of the week that I'm here.  So far, it is better than Rochester, and I'll be going out for "Team Dinner" tomorrow....I'm hoping it's better than the team dinner at the "Italian" restaurant in Rochester, HAHA!

At the end of the day, I've basically come to the conclusion that I'm too much of a homebody to enjoy traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment