Saturday, September 17, 2011

Triple Layer Cookies and Cream Crunch Bars

I hardly every need a reason to bake....But today I had one staring me in the face.  We're having a few people over tomorrow for "brunch" and while I am going to make scones (recipe and results to follow tomorrow) and possibly some hash browns (someone else is bringing quiche), I decided that we would need some kind of dessert.  My friend Hillary had previously posted a recipe on Facebook that I saw and was like "WOAH!"  So today I took the opportunity to try them!


I actually made 1.5 recipes, because it called for an 8x8" pan, and all I had was a 10x10" pan, and I didn't want it to be too thin.  I've included just the single recipe below.



Triple Layer Cookies and Cream Crunch Bars
(makes 9-12 bars)
1 stick (1/2 cup) Softened Butter
1 1/2 cups Sugar
2 Eggs
2 tsps Vanilla Extract
1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
2 cups Chocolate Chips (I used Ghiradelli Milk Chocolate Chips)
1/2 cup Peanut Butter
20 Oreo Cookies

  • Preheat oven to 350*
  • Butter and flour an 8x8" cake pan.
  • Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar, until fluffy.  
  • Add the eggs one at a time, then add vanilla.  
  • Once this is combined, add in the Cocoa Powder and mix again until well combined.  
  • Add flour and salt, mixing well until batter is smooth and comes together. 
  • Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
  • Spread the combined mixture into the greased and floured pan. 
  • Sink 9 Oreo cookies into the batter and press gently (shown below).  Bake for 25-30 minutes. 


  • While this is baking, crush the remaining Oreo Cookies in a ziplock bag. 
  • When brownies are finished baking, remove from the oven and sprinkle with 1/2 cup chocolate chips and the crushed Oreo Cookies. Place back in the oven for about 2-3 minutes.   It is important to have as many of the chocolate chips touching the brownies as possible, as they will act as a glue between the brownie and the crushed cookies.



  • During the time the brownies are in the oven, melt remaining chocolate chips and peanut butter together. Remove brownies from oven and pour melted chocolate mixture over top, spreading with a spatula.  The chocolate mixture will serve as more glue to hold the crushed cookies to the top of the brownie, so make sure it is covering everything.
    • To melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter, I did the following:  Put the chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, then stir.  Microwave for another 30 seconds and stir again.  When the chocolate is almost completely melted, add in the peanut butter.  Return to microwave for another 15-30 seconds.  Stir well to combine. 
  • Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
  • Let brownies sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before cutting. Don’t worry if some of the cookies spill out from the middle or the top cracks – they are still delicious!
Since the Bars are for tomorrow, I haven't cut them yet....But as soon as I do, I'll add in a picture of the final finished product!  

2 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. I am so, so glad you made these! Cannot wait to hear how they came out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. points! points! points! hahahah looks yummy!
    -caro

    ReplyDelete