Sunday, March 27, 2011

Last week, in 632 words

So as some people might know, last week (March 17th), I interviewed for a new job within my company.  I was told that I would hear (either way) by Friday, March 25th.   Needless to say, last week was the longest week of my life.  I was in training for a new ERP/MRP system Monday 1-5, Tuesday-Thursday 8-5.  Let's just say that I called my voicemail and checked my email at every break possible.  On Wednesday, I found out that someone who had applied for the Level 1 position had been offerred the position.  That could only possibly mean that I would hear about the Level 2 position soon, right?  No.  I still went the rest of the day Wednesday with no news, and had no new calls or emails about the job when I got in on Thursday.  So I went to training still hoping that I would hear something soon.  I was happy to find out that training was ending at 11 on Thursday....Yay!  I could sit at my desk and stalk my email and phone in peace.  I did my normal running around throughout the rest of the day and in the afternoon, I came back to my computer....I had an email!  THE JOB HAD BEEN CANCELLED!!!

Yup, Cancelled.  So some background information:  The system we have for jobs and careers is VERY intelligent (there is some sarcasm there...).  Whenever you, as the job owner, make any changes to the job, anyone who has previously applied to the job gets a notification.  Well, because they cancelled the job in the system, everyone who applied for the job, and got interviewed for the job, including myself, got an email notification about it.  I was stunned.  I was given no prior notification that this might happen, no warning.  I immediately called Human Resources....I figured that at the very least, they could tell me what was going on.  I called the person in HR who I knew was in charge of this job (since I had met with her during the interview).  I left her a message (very polite), telling her that I had gotten this email and I would like to know if she had any information about it.  After about 15 minutes of not hearing anything, I decided that it time to go home.  I was about half-way home, and decided that I wanted to check my voicemail....I just had a "feeling" that she might have called me back....I should have bought a lottery ticket that night, because I was right!  She said that they had "remapped" the job to a level 1, and for me to call her back tomorrow (Friday) so she could explain.  I called her again on Friday, but have yet to get a reply.

I know that I am just an employee.  I am not the most important person in the building.  But where's the respect?  If you know that you're going to change the level of the job, and you've already given out interviews, don't you think it would be a nice idea to at least notify the people that you interviewed before the email notification goes out?  I talked to my boss about it.  I've already decided that even if they offer the job to me as a level 1, there's no way I'm going to take it....It would be career suicide to take a position that low, considering where I am today.  On Thursday, I was fuming, but I'm not mad anymore.  I understand that there must be a reason as to why they're changing the job from a level 2 to a level 1.  I just don't understand why I didn't warrent enough respect to be notified personally.  I just want a phone call.  Here's to hoping that I'll find out tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment