Monday, June 25, 2012

Holy Guacamole!!

Furthering my obsession with Mexican Food:


My friends visited Friday night, and instead of going to Tortilla Flats, I'm making Mexican at Home.  I'm making burritos again (don't judge me!) with a little twist - I decided to mix the refried beans into the meat mixture instead of layering it.  I can't wait to eat them!!


To go with the burritos, I decided to make a couple of sides.  I bought some sour cream, I made a fresh batch of salsa and some GUACAMOLE!!!


This is probably one of the easiest versions of guacamole you can possibly make.  I first saw guacamole made on Barefoot Contessa, and I made it her way the first time....Since then, I've changed it and made it my own (basically I've made it the lazy [yet delicious] way....)!!  So here goes!!


Guacamole 
Ingredients
  • 3 ripe avocados
  • 1/4 cup small diced onion (red is best, but vadilia will do the trick)
  • finely chopped jalapeno pepper (however many you want - I used only 1/2 of one pepper)
  • 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes (I had bought grape tomatoes today, so I just chopped some of those up)
  • Kosher Salt
  • Ground Black Pepper
  • Lemon or Lime Juice
The Method
Halve the avocados, remove the pits, and dice the avocado while it's still in the shell.  Then scoop the diced avocado right into the bowl.  Immediately pour the lemon or lime juice over the avocados to prevent them from browning (I believe the technical term is oxidizing).  Add in the chopped onion, jalapeno pepper, tomatoes and a little bit of salt and pepper.  Mix everything together (you can either mash up the avocado, or just mix it lightly - do it however you want to get the consistency you want).


Taste the guacamole and add more salt and pepper if needed.


Viola!!


Guacamole - left a little on the chunkier side, ready for some chips and burritos!!!

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment