Friday, February 17, 2012

Homemade Salsa

My friend Katie and I always joke around that we might have been Mexican in a past life.  We're both in love with Mexican Food - Any kind of Mexican Food.  There's a restaurant right near my   condo in Providence called Tortilla Flats and it's my FAVORITE.  Any time Katie comes out to visit, we usually hit this place up (they have really good Margaritas and Sangria, too!) 

One of the staples in many Tex-Mex places these days are the chips and salsa.  While we occasionally get a batch of [somewhat] stale chips, the salsa is always A-mazing.  

I never really thought much about making my own salsa.  I've made dips galore, but when it comes to salsa, I've always just bought a jar, and then complained because it really wasn't what I wanted.  SO....I found a link on Pinterest to a "Chili's Copy Cat Salsa" and decided to try it.  The result - IT TASTED LIKE TORTILLA FLATS!!!!  So exciting!

The Recipe:
2 cans (14.5 oz each) whole tomatoes, drained (I used 1 28-oz can of whole San Marzano Tomatoes, because that's what I had in the pantry)
1 small (4 oz) can diced or whole jalapenos (not pickled)--about 4-5 jalapenos (or less if you don't like a lot of spice) (I sent my husband to the market for jalapenos, and he bought 3 different kinds....I have no idea if they were all jalapenos or not....But I cleaned out all the ribs and seeds before dropping them in the food processor.  It was fairly mild with 3 peppers, definitely add more if you want it hot)
1/4 c. yellow onion, cut into quarters (you can also use dried minced onion)
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 to 1 tsp. salt (depending on how much you prefer) (I put in the whole 1 tsp)
1 tsp. cumin (I put in a little less than 1 tsp....I not a huge cumin fan)
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. lime juice (I used bottled lemon juice.  That's what I had)

Place all of the ingredients together into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Serve with tortilla chips.

We had this the day of the Superbowl with some Tito's Chips.  SO GOOD!!!  I REALLY think you should try this!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment