Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Spanish Rice

Last night I decided to make Spicy Turkey Burgers for dinner.  I needed something to go with it, but didn't want the boring standard rice...So I made "Spanish Rice."  Spanish Rice is something of my childhood.  My mom made it every so often and I really love it.  However, I've never attempted it on my own.  My mom wasn't home yet when I decided to make it, so I called Nonni (my grandmother) to figure out what to do..

"Hi Nonni!"
"Hi!  How was your first day??"
"Oh, this is Camille"
"Oh, haha! You sounded just like Stephanie."
"Haha.  I think today was her first day...Anyway, how do I make Spanish Rice?"
"Oh, it's easy, here's what to do:"

I took her instructions, and adapted them a little bit (I think I did a mix of what she does and what my mom does....)

PS - before you make this recipe, please note that I made WAYYYY too much rice.  Why I made this much for 3 people is completely beyond me....So tread with caution....And make at least half this amount.

Spanish Rice
Brown Together (until the rice is browned and the onions are translucent):
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cups rice (I used brown rice to be healthy, but white rice is even better!)
Rice, Onion, and Pepper browning up in oil

Add:
4 cups water
1 large chopped tomato and the juices (or 1 can diced tomato)
2 tsp salt
 Everything in the pot!

Bring everything to a boil and then reduce to simmer, cover, and cook for 30 mins

And Voila!  You've got Spanish Rice!!

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment