Thursday, May 17, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken and Broccoli

Another attempt at Chicken and Broccoli.  But this time was a little better than my last attempt.


I stopped in the market really quick the other day and picked up a package of chicken - 1 lb of chicken breast tenders.  When I got home, I realized that I had no clue what to do with it.  I had a bottle of stir fry sauce, but only peppers to go with it (not an onion to be found!).  Last week, I did Chicken Caesar Salad, so I didn't want to do that again so soon.  I browsed around online a little bit, and found what looked like a cool recipe for crock pot chicken and broccoli.  It had cream of mushroom soup and cream cheese, neither of which I had, so I ended up adapting it a bit...


In the crock pot, I threw together the following:
  • 1 lb chicken breast tenders, cut in medium chunks (probably 4-5 pieces per tender)
  • 1/2 bag frozen chopped broccoli
  • 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
  • 1 package Good Seasons Italian Dressing (just the dry seasoning)
That's it.  Cooked on low for 3 1/2 hours, and Viola!


Some notes on this:

  1. It is better to cook the chicken, stock and dressing for about 2-2 1/2 hours, and THEN add the broccoli.  Because I cooked the broccoli the whole time, by the time we ate, it was like complete mush.  
  2. I made this with brown rice.  I added a dash of salt into the water when I boiled it, and I would recommend NOT doing this.  With the concentrated flavor of the dressing mix, the salt was not needed.  Also - if you happen to have low sodium chicken broth, I would use it.  

Crock Pot Chicken and Broccoli


Enjoy!! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment