Friday, February 1, 2013

Homemade Egg Sandwiches

I love eggs.  Growing up, my mom used to make me poached eggs, and I loved dipping the toast in the yolk.  I love eggs over easy, fried eggs, and also love eggs fried into a hole cut in bread.  I love hard boiled eggs.  And while I can't put scrambled eggs into the "love" category, I can put them into the "like quite a bit" category.

I guess my love of fried eggs and poached eggs naturally led into my love of egg sandwiches.  There is a problem with egg sandwiches, though.  A)  I never have the time during the week to make them before work.  B)  You can buy them at Dunkin Donuts or McDonalds, but they're loaded with extra fat and calories (And Points Plus), and just aren't worth it in the end, and C)  They get expensive!!


A delicious egg sandwich, made at home!
I saw something on Pinterest about baking eggs in Muffin Tins.  GENIUS!  I mean, seriously, genius!!!  Why didn't I think of that??

So that's what I did.  I baked my eggs in jumbo muffin tins, and I made homemade egg sandwiches!!

I used extra large muffin tins (the bottoms are a little bit wider and therefore you get an egg that is a little bit closer to the diameter of the english muffin.  The regular sized muffin tins would make the eggs thicker, but they would also be smaller).  I toasted my "light" english muffins, and I used Ultra Thin slices of Cheddar cheese (which I folded up to not overhang the egg too much).


This is a delicious breakfast, but it's also perfect during the week.  I wrapped all of the sandwiches in foil, and was able to pop one in the toaster this morning to heat up while my coffee was brewing.  So EASY and Delicious!

So what to do?

Ingredients
6 eggs
6 Light English Muffins (I used Stop & Shop Brand)
6 slices of cheese (I used Ultra Thin Sargento Mild Cheddar Slices)

The Method Crack eggs into Pam-sprayed muffin tins (or jumbo muffin tins, like I did, or even whoopie pie tins!) and bake them at 350* for 8-10 minutes.  I baked mine for 8 minutes, checked, and decided that they were still too soft, and baked for another 2 minutes.  Don't over-bake, or they'll get rubbery!!


Eggs, all baked in jumbo muffin tins
While the eggs are baking, toast up your english muffins!

Then, assemble!!!  Use whatever cheese you want!!

 
My eggs on the toasted english muffins, then with a slice of cheese on top!!

Make your sandwiches, wrap them up, and enjoy!!

Note:  I left mine in the refrigerator and stuck one in the toaster this morning.  I just put it on the toast setting like I would for regular bread and it was perfectly heated through this morning!  If you freeze your sandwiches, make sure you heat them up long enough!! :o)


These come in at 6 Points Plus (if you add everything separately, you get 5 points, but putting everything into the Recipe Builder makes it 6 points.  Dunkin Egg & Cheese on English Muffin:  9 Points Plus.  McDonalds Egg McMuffin:  8 Points Plus)  And a whole lot cheaper!!!

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment