Hummus is such a delicious snack. But I hate buying it in the stores. I guess it's because I'm cheap. Oh well.
So I made my own.
I got a recipe from a friend, and then tweaked it a bit.
1 can chick peas, drained
1/4 cup sesame tahini
1/4 cup fat free Greek yogurt
1 clove garlic
- Put the drained chick peas in a pot, and add about a 1/2 cup water. Heat them through (as soon as they come to a boil, shut the heat off).
- Put the chicken peas, and some of the water (as much as you want) into the blender/food processor. I put just a bit of water, and then saved some to add in later, if needed.
- Add the garlic, salt, and lemon juice (about a teaspoon of salt, and half a squeezed lemon) into the food processor and mix everything together.
- Add the tahini and yogurt, and mix again.
- Taste the mixture, and add salt or more lemon juice, to your liking.
I cut out any extra Olive Oil, and by adding the Greek yogurt in place of half of the tahini, I was able to cut a little bit of fat, and add a little protein. Not too shabby!! The recipe makes about a cup and a half of hummus, so for 2 Tbsp per serving, you have the following:
Calories: 69, Fat: 3g, Carbohydrates: 7g, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 3g. 2 Points Plus!