Monday, July 9, 2012

Make Way for the Red, White, & Blue!!

It's been almost a week since Independence Day, but I've been a very busy girl.  However, I couldn't NOT share this cake!!
My first attempt at a Flag Cake!
I got the idea from Pinterest, and knew that the 4th of July would be the perfect time to make it!  For a first attempt, I think it came out pretty good!  Here's what I did:


The Cake:
I took a shortcut and used white cake mix.  Yep.  I bought whatever kind was on sale (I think it was Pillsbury with pudding in the mix and I made it will whole eggs).  I used 2 cake mixes, and split it between 3 cakes, one of which was died red, another blue.
Red, White, and Blue cakes - ready to be baked!
Cool the cakes, and then slice the red and the white cakes in half.  Take 1 half of the red, and 1 half of the white, and cut a circle out of the middle (I used a cleaned empty tomato can).  Also cut out a circle from the blue cake (1 to 2 rounds, depending on the thickness).
  
Next, start layering.  I used a "Fine White Frosting" recipe.


Stack a Red Cake, Frosting, White Cake, and then a Red cake with the hole and the white cake with the hole.  Frost the whole thing (yes, it will be awkward).


One layer of Red and One layer of White, both with  frosting!

The Red and White layers on top, both wit the holes!  Frosted and ready to go!
Next, take the blue circle, and fit it into the hole!
The blue cake, fitted into the hole!  Ready for frosting!
Next, completely frost the entire cake, and get ready to decorate!!  I decorated with strawberries and blueberries.  I wanted to pipe in a fun design, but unfortunately all my tips are packed away and my jimmy-rigged disposable tip in a sandwich baggie failed me!  But here is the finished product!
Happy 4th of July!!!




Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment