Monday, July 9, 2012

Fine White Frosting

This recipe is a favorite of my family's.  It's really easy, and really delicious.  It's not super sugary-sweet, but I like it a lot better than whipped cream.  My Aunt Theresa gave me a version of the recipe (which I will also share, it's very similar with a quick little change) and she called it "Poor Man's Whipped Cream."


My mom's version (which I used in the 4th of July cake):


Beat Together until Fluffy and the sugar is no longer gritty:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup crisco
1 cup granulated sugar


On the stove top, cook together:
5 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
Cook these until the mixture is thickened.  Stir continuously until it has a thick consistency.  Cool completely
The flour/milk mixture, nice and thick on the stove!


Add the cooled flour/milk mixture into the sugar/butter mixture and whip until it is like cream.  Add in the vanilla and mix well.  
Fine White Frosting - So delicious!


And that's IT!!  (note:  I doubled this recipe for the layer cake)


Now my Aunt uses a very similar recipe, except she doesn't cook it on the stove top.  Cooking the flour and milk on the stove can be very difficult, and it can turn lumpy very quickly (or as my aunt wrote to me in her last email, "it turned out to be a glutenous lumpy mess that [she] would end up throwing out.").  Here's her method:


BEAT TOGETHER TIL FLUFFY

1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup crisco
add 1/2 cup granulated sugar and cream together until the sugar is no longer gritty.
BEAT INTO THIS
1/2 cup flour
1/2  milk
BEAT UNTIL IT GROWS IN VOLUME AND IS SMOOTH AND CREAMY SORT OF LIKE WHIPPED CREAM.  ADD ANY FLAVORING YOU WOULD LIKE

I haven't attempted her version yet, but it looks like it would turn out delicious!  :o)
 
Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. I've seen these technique before and always thought it would be good (rave reviews and all) but haven't tried it yet. Maybe next time!!

    ReplyDelete