Friday, January 20, 2012

A cookie to write home about

We all know that I love cookies.  I have books and book - all different cookie recipes.  They're just fun and delicious.


So I was looking around on Pinterest and found a recipe for "The Best M&M Cookies Ever" and decided to try it.  I've tried making M&M cookies in the past - I essentially take my regular Chocolate Chip recipe and add in M&Ms.  While they're good, they're always a little off.  What I really need is a recipe for the Keebler Elf M&M cookies.  Now that would be the Best Cookie Ever.


In any case, here's the cookie that I made


2 Sticks Butter, browned and then cooled completely
4 oz Cream Cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
1 egg
2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Corn Starch
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
1 cup M&Ms
1/2 cup Chocolate Chips (I used Semi-Sweet)


To Brown the Butter, put it in a small sauce pan and melt it.  Once it melts, turn the heat down to Med-High, and continually stir with a whisk.  The butter will get very bubbly and foamy as it browns.  Don't let it burn!!!  Once it is browned (there will be little specs of brown mixed in with the melted butter), take the pan off the stove and let it sit on the cool counter until it is completely cool (it will re-coagulate - this takes some time).


Browned Butter, cooled back to room temperature
Beat together the butter, cream cheese, and sugars until smooth.  Add in the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.  Add the flours, starch, salt and soda into the butter mixture (you can sift the dry ingredients together first and then add to the butter mixture, but I find this extra step is unnecessary).  Combine well.  Fold in the M&Ms, Chocolate Chips (and 1/2 cup of chopped nuts, if that suits your fancy).  Refrigerate until the dough is completely chilled (I don't totally see why this step is necessary, I think you could scoop right away and bake if you like, but I think the chilling of the dough helps to keep the cookies a bit lumpy and not spread out as much).  


Place chunks on a lined baking sheet (I used a spoon to gather up the dough and then smushed it into a ball with my hands.  I tried using a small ice cream scoop, but the dough was too cold and the scoop wasn't effective).


Ready for the oven!
Bake at 375* for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.


ENJOY!!!
NOTE:  3 points plus each!

No comments:

Post a Comment