Last week, we were very organized in taking either meats or prepared food out of the freezer and having delicious dinners throughout the week. One of the dinners we decided on was Breakfast Burritos - to be made with some sausage that we had in the freezer.
The breakfast burrito ended up being a delicious mid-week treat, and I know my husband enjoyed them, since he went back for more! This meal's "I tried something new" happen to work in our favor!! My recipe is below, but this is really one of those things where you can make it however you want!
Sausage Breakfast Burritos
1 lb Sausage, taken out of the casings (I use Perri Sausage, 1/2 lb hot and 1/2 lb sweet)
Chopped green bell pepper
Chopped red bell pepper
Salt & Pepper to taste
Soft Shell Tacos, or burritos
Shredded Mild Cheddar
- Saute the onion and peppers in some olive oil on the stove, until translucent.
- Take the sausage out of the casings, and add the sausage into the onion and pepper mixture. Break up the sausage as much as you want (I don't like huge chunks. so I tried to grind it up on the small side) and cook until everything is browned
- Drain the mixture of any excess fat
- Season with salt and pepper, not too much is needed as there are lots of seasonings in the sausage
- Add the beaten eggs and cook well
- Warm the burrito shells or taco shells in the oven so they are warm and pliable.
When the sausage and egg mixture is fully cooked, spoon the mixture into the shells, and top with whatever toppings you prefer!
I used a leftover package of soft shell tacos that came in a taco kit. This only contains 6 shells, but there is plenty of stuffing for at least 10! If you don't have enough shells, it's delicious on toasted bread, or even eaten plain!!