Thursday, January 24, 2013

What do you think about Turkey?

Like many out there, I try to limit my intake of red-meat to just a couple of times per week.  I sometimes replace ground beef with ground turkey.  In some dishes, you just can't taste the difference.  

However.

The other night, I made Sausage and Potatoes.  There were multiple things wrong with the dish, one being that it stayed in the oven too long and the potatoes got dried out.  But aside from that fact, I think everything else that was wrong with this dish is that I decided to use Turkey Sausage.  I don't mind eating regular sausage, since we don't eat it very often, but for some reason, when I went to the market, I decided to get Turkey Sausage.  I don't know why.  I think, in my mind, it would be "healthier" than regular sausage (which - when comparing the nutrition facts, is really not that much healthier.  At all!).  

Well.  Never Again.  Seriously. 

The turkey sausage, even though it was "Italian Style" just didn't taste right.  I think that both the sweet and hot sausage had fennel seeds in it, and I am just not a fan of fennel.  Also, while I cooked the dish the same way I always cook it, I found some things that I did not like!  The casing kind of peeled off the sausage.  It was weird.  And looked gross. 

I don't think I would buy Turkey Sausage again.  Or at least not that brand.  My aunt made sausage and potatoes once with chicken sausage - and that was really good.  I just don't know where this went wrong!!!

1 comment:

  1. I actually do use turkey sausage as a substitute for regular pork sausage on many occasions. I know it's still pretty fattening but it's slightly less guilty at times. I wonder if it was the brand you tried? Hmmm

    ReplyDelete